Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Your Art Inspired by Dickson Street

    Enjoy the art inspired by Helen's painting, Dickson Street
(The Inspiration Image is at the bottom of this post.)


Deidre Townsend: Venice, Where Else!
Oil on Canvas, 30"x 40"
Well, I finally finished it. It started as an inspiration from Helen’s Dickson Street (and a bit from my own Through the Storm). I think everyone can recognize scenes from Venice, even if you’ve never visited. It also started as an monochromatic abstract, but you can’t paint Venice without color, I’ve discovered. This will be a gift to my sweet next door neighbor who has helped me through the most difficult year of my life. I painted Venice for her because I felt it was a place she would love to go. Little did I know, that’s where she went on her honeymoon! I hope she loves it. Thanks for all the inspirations. It’s been fun, and well, inspirational! 

Deidre Townsend: Through the Storm
Acrylic Triptych on Canvas
Skyscrapers and concrete are part of a big city's personality.  Storms come through and wash the grime away leaving wet, glossy streets. The sun peeking through shines gold off the glass while people start to emerge to carry on about their day.  One lone umbrella gleams red in rebellion against all the gray and white of the streets.



Sara Harley: Bridgewater Reflections
Photograph
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia is a town of approximately 9000 people. Like many small towns, the downtown has seen better days. Most people have changed their shopping habits, making malls their primary choice. There have been subtle changes over the past few years and our downtown is improving. The most striking feature of our town is the LaHave River running through it, a tidal river that flows to the Atlantic Ocean. I walk along the river every day enjoying the cry of the seagulls, the sight of the occasional seal, and the ever changing reflections of our downtown.


Inspiration Image:  Dickson Street by Helen Eaton
It seems like most towns have their special places that give them personality… the landmark where everybody has their pictures made, the street for the parade route, the square where the farmers’ market sets up or rallies take place, the restaurant that always has a long wait list, the old homes in the historic district, or the building whose silhouette appears on the city logo.

Dickson Street is my city’s colorful strip of activity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive feedback and encouraging comments welcome!